What Is Mould?Mould is a species of fungi. Just like mushrooms, this living organism uses tiny spores to reproduce. As a naturally occurring growth, it doesn’t need to be introduced into an environment. In damp, dark and unventilated areas, mould will arise and continue to grow, feeding on the moisture in the air or the surface it’s growing on. Although it’s often thought that mould is a problem only found in older buildings, this isn’t the case. It’s simply a matter of the right growing conditions. The most common types of mould you’ll find around your home include aspergillus, alternaria, cladosporium and the highly toxic stachybotrys atra (black mould).
Surfaces Mould Can Grow OnWhile mould is a fungus that relies on a root network, or hyphae, it doesn’t require a bed of soil to grow in. A highly resilient organism, mould can become quite comfortable on a number of different materials. These include:
Simply a thick layer of dust can provide a good enough breeding ground in some cases, proving that even non-porous materials can fall victim to mould growth.
Mould From Water Damage
If you’ve got water where it’s not supposed to be, mould probably isn’t far behind. Ceiling leaks, rising damp, plumbing issues and flooding are all disastrous situations that can have a huge financial and emotional impact on your life. If a house or dwelling has been flooded for more than two days there’s a very high chance of mould developing. It’s important that, upon returning, you look out for any musty odours or visible signs of fungal growth.
Health Risks Of Mould
Exposure to mould can affect you in multiple ways. Your symptoms can depend on the specific type of mould and duration of exposure. Physical contact can cause skin irritations, rashes and allergic reactions.
Mould that’s become airborne presents a more serious risk to your respiratory health. Dispersed from an air conditioner or heater, mould spores can find themselves propelled directly into your airways. Often presenting as cold and flu like symptoms, mould inhalation can cause coughs, sneezes, red eyes and runny noses. With the very young, very old and immunocompromised particularly at risk, it’s important to address any mould issues as quickly as possible. Long term exposure can have deadly consequences in extreme cases.
How Do I Get Rid Of Mould?
The most effective way to get rid of mould is with professional cleaning products. Specially made mould-killing solutions will likely contain compounds like hydrogen peroxide that permanently kill the mould and stop it from spreading further. These products can be hazardous if used improperly and all guidelines must be followed while in use, including proper ventilation and the use of PPE. While soap and white vinegar solutions are often suggested, they’re mostly ineffective in permanently killing the mould. You also risk spreading the mould spores even further around when attempting to clean it with insufficient products. Professionals should always be consulted for the best results.
I Found Mould In My Air Conditioner
One of the last places you want mould growing is your split system unit and, unfortunately, the warm temperatures and enclosed environment make it an ideal spot. Regular cleaning and general maintenance will ensure that your unit is mould free and not infecting you and your family’s airways. If you want a superior level of cleanliness that you know you can trust, leave it to the professionals at HydroKleen. Operating all around Australia, we offer world class services brought right to your door. We’ll provide your split system or ceiling units with a comprehensive clean, ridding them of all the harmful dirt, debris and mould. HydroKleen uses only the highest quality cleaning products available to make sure the job is done right!