Asthma is a chronic and incurable disease that makes breathing difficult. A person who has asthma experiences chest tightness, difficulty breathing, coughing and wheezing because their bronchial tubes (tubes that allow air in and out of the lungs) are swollen and inflamed. When a person is suffering from an asthma attack, the surrounding muscles around the bronchial tubes start to constrict and the thereby limiting the air passages and as a result, the person will find it very hard to breathe. Asthma sufferers would often describe the experience as if they were drowning in the air or that someone is sitting on their chest.
How long an attack would last varies depending on what caused the attack. For mild episodes of an asthma attack it would only last for a few minutes but during severe episodes it could last from hours up to days. Mild attacks usually resolve naturally or relieved through medication via inhaler. Severe asthma attacks, on the other hand, can only be treated with the right treatment.
Asthma triggers vary from person to person but the most common triggers that affect asthmatics include the following:
- Upper respiratory infections
- Inhaling cold and dry air
- Exposure to tobacco smoke
- Mould and pollen
There are people whose asthma attacks get worse following a respiratory infection while some are caused by their environment.
It is important to know what triggers an asthma attack so you can avoid them.
- In dealing with stress, it helps to learn stress management techniques.
- Upper respiratory infections can be avoided if you strengthen your immune system. Take vitamins, incorporate fruits and vegetables into your diet, get enough sleep and drink eight glasses of water a day.
- If you already experiencing coughing, don’t exercise. Wait until you are well.
- Don’t smoke and stay away from people who do.
- Mould usually thrives in dark and moist places like your air conditioner. Make sure that you have it regularly cleaned by professional air conditioner cleaning experts.
At HydroKleen, we have a team of specialists who are experts in removing organisms such as bacteria, fungi, mould and mildew in air conditioners, these are harmful toxins that are responsible for making you and your family sick. Our comprehensive air conditioning service will make sure that the air you breathe is fresh and clean to reduce the probability of sickness such as asthma caused by organisms trapped in your ACs.